Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Sydney - Public Transport is NOT visitor friendly.

Public transport in Australia has become really, really complicated since my last visit about a year ago! Last year, I could go to the counter at the Airport and purchase a ticket and seniors day excursion. There is an airport surcharge, but after that I could travel anywhere for $2 a day. This year I was turned away from the counter and pointed to the machine. I don't like using machines, but I managed to purchase a single adult ticket to the station close to my children. There was no option for a senior ticket like there used to be.
A few days later I walked to North Sydney station to travel to town. The ticket office was closed, apparently permanently.The first machine did not sell tickets, it only topped up Opal cards. The machine on the floor below - found after quite a search -  sold single tickets, but had no senior option. I paid $4.10 for a ticket to Town Hall - virtually within walking distance if you are fit and have time. There I looked around for somewhere to buy an Opal card, which seems to be essential for travel in Sydney these days. I could not find a ticket office. If there is one, it is well hidden.  I wandered around aimlessly, wondering if I should get an Uber instead. Then I spotted a sign above the door at Woolworths, stating that they sold Opal cards. I had to buy an adult one, as one has to apply online for a seniors Opal card.
By last night, the credit on the card was almost run out, so I went online and tried to apply for a seniors gold Opal card. I filled in the form online, but when I came to the section where I had to fill in my name and sign, I could not complete the form, but was supposed to print, complete, sign and scan the form and my seniors card and mail or email to them. There is no printer or scanner where I am staying. This means that I have to go to town to buy a memory stick, walk a considerable distance back home, save the document, take it back to town to find a place to print it, complete it , have copies made of my seniors card, and have all scanned and emailed or mail it to Opal. And as I have an out of state seniors card, this Opal card will only be valid for 60 days!!
To get a NSW seniors card will take 2 weeks. By then my visit will be almost over. Keep in mind that several people of a certain age are not that comfortable with using the internet, and may find it very difficult and confusing to walk around with luggage in strange places to sort out travel tickets.
Why not have a clear sign and booth at the Airport station saying "Purchase your Opal ticket here. Please note it is essential for public transport."
Most travellers will have a passport and/or drivers licence with their BIRTH DATE on it. If they are old enough, please be kind enough to give them a seniors discount.
Seriously!! Sydney's public transport is NOT visitor friendly. And especially not senior friendly anymore.

No comments: